[postponed] A Grey Space Weekend – Reach: Exhibition
A solo exhibition of works and performances by Karel van Laere during A Grey Space Weekend, marking the final presentation of his Open Space residency ‘Reach’.
A Grey Space Weekend is an adventurous festival consisting of an extensive music program with live acts and DJs, an exhibition, performances, a performative symposium, experience dinners and film screenings.
Driven by the belief that major tendencies in the world find common ground in the relationships between people, this edition of A Grey Space Weekend will focus on the concept of radical relationism. In the program we aim to stimulate encounters between the public, makers and thinkers with backgrounds in different disciplines.
Below you can find the different programs weaving together A Grey Space Weekend.
In the past three months, during his residency at The Grey Space, Karel van Laere developed a new body of work titled Reach.
Karel van Laere’s work takes place at the intersection of live performance and visual art. His own body is the starting point in every artistic process. A recurring theme in his work is the antagonism between the human body and technological systems. Reach began with a fascination for laparoscopic instruments (robotic tools used for surgery). During his artistic research Karel has learnt to use these surgical devices, has spoken extensively with surgeons and has probed a number of works.
During A Grey Space Weekend he presents the new works alongside a selection of older works in a solo exhibition.
In addition to the exhibition and performances, a performative symposium dedicated to Reach takes place during A Grey Space Weekend, click below for more information.
- Wednesday: 17.00-00.00
- Thursday: 17.00-00.00
- Friday: 17.00-00.00 (performance at 19.30)
- Saturday: 12.00-00.00 (performance at 19.30)
- Sunday: 12.00-21.00
- Friday (festival): €9.50
- Saturday (festival): €9.50
- Saturday (symposium): €9.50
- Sunday (film screenings): €5.00
- On Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday the exhibition can be visited for free. On Friday and Saturday the exhibition is part of the ticketed festival program.
- Find more information about dinner options and prices below.
- Dinner is served on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 18.30. Prices vary.
- The Klankborden sonic dinners and lunches take place at different times. Separate tickets are available in the ticketshop: €19.50 for lunch and €35.00 for dinner.
- The cafe will be opened for drinks and bites throughout the program.
- Payment at the bar (pin only).
- Vegan-friendly menu.
- Students get 20% discount on the drink menu.
- Reservations: via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention your name, the amount of guests, the date and which dish you would like.
A Grey Space Weekend is made possible by the City of The Hague, Stroom Den Haag, Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds Zuid-Holland and Kickstart Cultuurfonds.
Reach is a project by Karel van Laere developed in a co-production by The Grey Space in the Middle and Stichting Largo and is made possible by the City of The Hague, Stroom Den Haag, Mondriaan Fonds, Amarte Fonds, the In Art We Trust Fund (by We Are Public) and Laparoscopyboxx (a brand of Outside the Boxx).